Physical testing of metals is important especially for products such as jewellery and hardware on items like handbags and belts. A range of physical tests are available which can be tailored specifically to certain products. For example with jewellery, the quality can vary significantly and therefore simulation of wear tests, and attachment strength, etc are essential for quality and safety. We can provide advice and specifications for our customers.
In addition to this, products intended for limited contact should be tested for heavy metals for due diligence purposes. The term heavy metal is most commonly used to describe metallic elements that are toxic at low concentrations.
BLC offer heavy metals testing at our UKAS accredited laboratory, we can test your materials or products for toxic or restricted heavy metals including cadmium, mercury, lead, barium, chromium, antimony, selenium and arsenic.
There has been growing concern regarding the toxic effects of heavy metals and their use is restricted through a large number of EU and international legislations. Among these are REACH regulations, the Toxics in Packaging Clearinghouse (TPCH), California Proposition 65, and metal specific directives such as the Nickel Directive. EN71, a European standard governing the safety of toys where Part 3 of the regulations covers the migration of elements, is fast becoming the standard to be used for heavy metal safety and assurance for consumer products including leather and leather-based products.
BLC offer the following chemical tests and analysis of metals and metal products:
- Heavy Metals testing and analysis
- Lead testing and analysis
- Mercury testing and analysis
- Proposition 65 Screen
- REACH Screen
- Physical Testing
Why choose BLC to conduct your chemical testing and analysis?
- One of the fastest testing laboratories in Europe
- Experts in chemical testing and compliance – over 90 years experience
- Technical support and guidance if and when failures occur
- Solutions to cleanse and reduce toxic chemicals from your supply chain
- Expert advice and solutions on legislation and supply chain compliance
- Access to chemical supply chain specifications