Your business may need to conduct phthalates testing on consumer products if you manufacture or retail products which contain synthetic materials and plastics/plasticizers. This is due to the upcoming change in the European REACH regulation which could impact on chemical compliance of articles for general use.
Phthalates Changes in REACH Regulations
An expansion to the scope of Entry 51 of Annex XVII of REACH (Regulation (EC) No 1907/2006) is due to come in to force from the 7th of July 2020.
The amendments add diisobutyl phthalate (DIBP) to the already restricted bis(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate (DEHP), dibutyl phthalate (DBP) and benzyl butyl phthalate (BBP), along with extending the restrictions to articles for general use* in addition to the toys and childcare articles. The limit remains at 0.1% by weight of the plasticised materials of the article.
*Exemptions to the restrictions are:
- Articles exclusively for industrial of agricultural use provided no plasticised parts will be in prolonged contact with human skin or mucous membranes.
- Medical devices and their immediate packaging
- Electricals and electronic equipment already covered under the RoHS directive.
- A full list of exemptions can be found in paragraph 4 of Entry 51
Plasticised materials are also defined in this amendment as:
- Polyvinyl chloride (PVC), polyvinylidene chloride (PVDC), polyvinyl acetate (PVA), polyurethanes
- Any other polymer (including, inter alia, polymer foams and rubber material) except silicone rubber and natural latex coatings
- Surface coatings, non-slip coatings, finishes, decals, printed designs
- Adhesives, sealants, paints and inks
At Eurofins | BLC, we can test consumer products and materials for the presence of phthalates through our REACH testing and screening services. Phthalates are not only regulated in Europe; they are also regulated in the United States under CPSIA and California proposition 65, as well as other international chemical regulations.
Chemical Compliance Support
If you are a Eurofins | BLC Member, you can benefit from tailored chemical compliance and testing support for phthalates and other restricted substances. Our team of in-house chemical experts can provide 1-2-1 technical guidance on a number of regulations, including REACH. If your business is interested in becoming a Eurofins | BLC Member, view our membership benefits.
Contact Us Today
Do you have concerns about Phthalates in any of your products or compliance to REACH regulation? If so, contact our chemical experts today to discuss your business needs. You can email email@example.com, call +44 (0)1604 679 999 or complete the web form at the bottom of this web page.