What is the Regulation for Tattoo Inks?
The Council of Europe Resolution ResAP (2008) regulates the requirements and criteria for the safety of tattoos and permanent make-up.
Tattoo and PMU products should not endanger health or the environment. A risk evaluation should be performed based on the most up to date toxicological data and knowledge. The evaluation should be accessible to competent authorities.
Tattoo and PMU products should not;
- Contain or release the substances outlined below
- Contain substances listed in Directive 76/768/EEC;
- Contain carcinogenic, mutagenic and reprotoxic substances of categories 1, 2 or 3 which are classified under Directive 67/548/EEC;
- Contain further organic impurities for colorants used in foodstuffs and cosmetic products as set out in Directive 95/45/EEC;
- Be sterile and supplied in a container which maintains the sterility of the product until application.
- Only contain preservatives to ensure the preservation of the product after opening and not to correct insufficient microbiologic purity in the course of manufacture or of inadequate hygiene in tattooing and PMU practice.
What Chemicals are restricted?
The Directive places restrictions on the following substances:
- Aromatic Amines
- Heavy Metals
- Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAH)
Why do I need to Comply?
It is important to ensure that tattoo inks are compliant in order to protect human health as well as to avoid disruption to the business in terms of cost and brand reputation.
Non-compliant tattoo inks may cause adverse health effects including reproductive failure, asthma, carcinogenic, mutagenic, toxic and sensitising effects.
Why choose BLC to conduct your tattoo ink testing and analysis?
- One of the fastest testing laboratories in Europe
- Experts in chemical testing and compliance – over 90 years experience
- Technical support and guidance if and when failures occur
- Solutions to cleanse and reduce toxic chemicals from your supply chain
- Expert advice and solutions on legislation and supply chain compliance
- Access to chemical supply chain specifications