What are phthalates and what is phthalates testing?
Eurofins | BLC are experts in phthalates testing. Phthalates are high production volume chemicals used primarily as plasticizers in polyvinylchloride (PVC) and Polyurethane (PU) products. There are several different kinds of phthalates, but all of them are used to make hard plastic more soft and flexible.
A number of phthalates are known or suspected endocrine disruptors, including the most common phthalate: di-exylhethyl phthalate (DEHP). Endocrine disruptors are toxins that interfere with the normal activities of the endocrine system, which regulates hormone levels in the body.
Why you need phthalates testing?
Phthalates are heavily regulated globally. Annex XVII REACH restricts DEHP, DBP and BBP in concentrations greater than 0.1% by weight of the plasticised material in toys and childcare articles. It also restricts DINP, DIDP and DNOP in concentrations greater than 0.1% by weight of the plasticised material in toys and childcare articles which can be placed in the mouth by children.
Phthalates are also restricted under CPSIA and California proposition 65 as well as other EU and international legislations.
Why choose Eurofins | BLC to conduct your phthalates testing and analysis?
- One of the fastest testing laboratories in Europe
- Experts in phthalates testing and compliance – over 90 years experience
- Technical support and guidance if and when failures occur
- Solutions to cleanse and reduce toxic chemicals from your supply chain
- Expert advice and solutions on legislation and supply chain compliance
- Access to chemical supply chain specifications