PAH Testing Services (Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons)
What are polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons?
Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAH’s) are a group of over 100 different chemicals that are formed during the incomplete burning of coal, oil and gas, waste and other organic substances. These substances readily evaporate into the air from soil or surface water, breaking down through reaction with sunlight and other chemicals in the air. Furthermore, PAH’s can enter water through discharges from industrial and water treatment plants, however, most PAH’s do not dissolve easily in water and therefore they bind to solid particles and settle at the bottom of lakes or rivers.
The risks and why you need to test
PAH’s, which are known for their carcinogenic, mutagenic and teratogenic properties, can be found in leather, rubber, plastics, lubricants, paints and other products. As a result of this, EU REACH Annex XVII has placed a restriction on the use of 8 PAH’s in certain products and concentration limits have been applied. Furthermore, the US EPA has restricted the use of a total of 18 PAH’s in consumer goods.
Why choose Eurofins | BLC to for your PAH testing services?
- One of the fastest testing laboratories in Europe
- Experts in chemical testing and compliance – over 90 years experience
- Technical support and guidance if and when failures occur
- Solutions to cleanse and reduce toxic chemicals from your supply chain
- Expert advice and solutions on legislation and supply chain compliance
- Access to chemical supply chain specifications