BLC nickel testing services
BLC can carry out UKAS accredited nickel testing in leather and textile products and samples:
- Nickel release testing BS EN 1811:2011+A1:2015 and BS EN 12472:2005+A1:2009
- Fast Nickel release IHM 35 based on BS EN 1811:2011+A1:2015
What products should undergo nickel testing?
Nickel is most commonly used in jewellery and apparel as the major use of nickel is in the preparation of alloys, however BLC recommends that the following products should undergo nickel testing to ascertain whether the consumer product contains compliant levels of nickel:
- Jewellery (including plated jewellery)
- Clothing and apparel
- Metallic coatings
- Children’s toys
- Metal items that will be in prolonged contact with the skin
- Nickel alloys
How does nickel affect the skin?
Although not toxic, the exposure to nickel in certain products which are intended to come into direct and prolonged skin contact, such as jewellery, watches and accessories, may cause sensitization of humans to nickel and may lead to allergic reactions, known as the nickel itch in sensitized individuals.
Why test jewellery, watches and metals for nickel?
European standard EN 1811 is the internationally recognised nickel testing and analysis method used to determine the rate of nickel release from jewellery, metals and other items. The nickel test was devised to assess whether articles comply with the requirements of the EU Nickel Directive.
BLC Heavy Metals Testing in Products and Materials
BLC carry out a wide range of heavy metals testing on consumer products and materials, including:
Why choose BLC to conduct your nickel testing and analysis?
- One of the fastest nickel testing laboratories in Europe
- Experts in jewellery and metal testing and compliance – over 95 years’ experience
- Technical support and guidance if and when failures occur
- Solutions to cleanse and reduce toxic chemicals from your supply chain
- Expert advice and solutions on legislation and supply chain compliance
- Access to chemical supply chain specifications