What is DMFu testing?
DMFu testing is the testing of Dimethylfumarate in products such as finished footwear and furniture. Dimethylfumarate (DMFu) has good anti-fungal properties and has been associated with mould inhibitor sachets used as part of the packaging process for finished footwear and furniture products.
So, if you are a retailer, importer, or manufacturer of finished products that use DMF as the main volatile in the anti-mould sachets, then at BLC, we recommend that you test the finished products for DMFu content.
Why you need to test for DMFu?
DMFu has been highlighted as being an allergenic sensitizer causing severe skin reactions at low concentrations.
It was commonly found that anti-mould sachets were being placed in product packaging or being stapled to products themselves which caused, over time, the volatile DMF to sublime and permeate into the product.
Decision 2009/251/EC lays down the prohibition on DMFu for all goods intended for use by EU consumers or likely to be used by them. More specifically, the prohibition applies to the following products:
- Products (or parts thereof) on which the presence of DMFu is stated (e.g. on one or more pouches)
- Products (or parts thereof) with a concentration of DMFu higher than 0.1 mg/kg by weight
Potential product recall
If any of your products are in violation of the above safety requirements, they will be refused or withdrawn from the EU market.
The ban and recall of products containing DMFu is to be policed by individual EU member states, but it is important for importers, manufacturers and retailers to be aware of the risks and to address any issues raised. Problems, such as dermal irritation, caused by elevated levels of fungicides can lead to brand damage, and can potentially lead to high costs through proceedings with customers.
Why choose BLC to conduct your DMFu testing and analysis?
- One of the fastest testing laboratories in Europe
- Experts in chemical testing and compliance – over 95 years’ experience
- Technical support and guidance if and when failures occur
- Solutions to cleanse and reduce toxic chemicals from your supply chain
- Expert advice and solutions on legislation and supply chain compliance
- Access to chemical supply chain specifications