What is cadmium testing?
Cadmium testing identifies what levels of cadmium are present in your product.
Cadmium is a rare metallic element found in small deposits on almost every continent. It has a number of uses, perhaps most famously as a pigment (yellow/orange colour space) used in paint and in jewellery. The element is usually found in combinations with other elements, typically copper, zinc, and lead.
Cadmium is considered a risk to human health as cadmium and its compounds are generally considered to be carcinogenic by most health and safety agencies. The element irritates internal organs such as the lungs and intestines when inhaled or ingested, and long term exposure to high levels can cause death. As an element, Cadmium cannot be broken down and as such accumulates within cells and organs and the environment over time.
Why do you need cadmium testing?
Cadmium is restricted under Annex XVII of REACH regulations, which covers mixtures and articles, including:
- Brazing fillers
- Plastics and recovered PVC
Cadmium testing is essential to identify the levels of cadmium in your product(s), to help your business comply with a number of international regulations, including:
- Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) in the United States
- California Proposition 65 in the State of California
- Toxics in Packaging Clearinghouse (TPCH) in the United States
- RoHS in the European Union
- European Toy Directive in the European Union
In addition to this, on 1st November 2011, ASTM International approved ASTM F2923-11 ‘Children’s Jewellery Safety Standard’ which includes strict Cadmium limits in children’s metal and plastic jewellery. Under this legislation, metal and plastic/polymeric components must meet migratable limits for cadmium if they fail an initial screen for cadmium content.
Why choose BLC to conduct your cadmium testing and analysis?
- One of the fastest testing laboratories in Europe
- UKAS accredited laboratory (ref: 0076)
- Experts in chemical testing and compliance – over 95 years’ experience
- Technical support and guidance if and when failures occur
- Solutions to cleanse and reduce toxic chemicals from your supply chain
- Expert advice and solutions on legislation and supply chain compliance
- Access to chemical supply chain specifications